If you recently switched from a Windows-based machine to a Mac OS based machine and you are wondering about the feature that how to take a screenshot in the Mac OS. In Windows 7, we have the feature of Snipping tools that help us to take a partly screenshot of the screen. But there is no alternative of snipping tool on Mac OS. But there are some third-party applications that can do that even in the Mac OS. In this article, I will tell you about the best alternatives for “Snipping Tools” on Mac.
What is Snipping Tools?
Snipping Tools is an application developed by Microsoft at the time of Windows Vista. Now it can take still screenshots of a moving window, in a rectangular box or a free-form area and it can be of a full screen as well. But it lacks in some of the editing features that are necessary for an editor or a blog-writer. Therefore, this is not used by most of the users, but there are some users which do not need these kinds of features. Therefore, Snipping Tools is the most used screenshot taker application out there. So we look at the best alternative for this in the Mac OS platform as well.
Best Alternative of Snipping Tools for Mac
There are great numbers of applications either of them is the first party or the third party that can do the same work as the snipping tools application does in the Windows platform. But first, we take a look at the native screenshot taker available in the Mac OS platform. There are different commands for different types of screenshots
- Press Command+Shift+3 to take a screenshot of your full desktop.
- Press Command+Shift+4 to take the screenshot of a boxed area on your desktop.
- For taking screenshots of a particular opened window, Press Command+Shift+4+ Space keys while that window is active.
But there are various third-party applications available for the Mac platform, that can do more than just taking the screenshot of the Window but to edit them and add some important details to the screenshot taken. The list is vast but the following are the best for the purpose and in my opinion true alternative for Snipping Tools.
Snagit, this application provides every functionality of the native tool present in Mac OS. But this application provides an extra function of screen recording in the command buttons. It helps in recording the screen while working on our project so that later we can include that with our new projects. It is a powerful tool used by advanced users only.
- Capturing the desktop.
- Capturing the video in a still shot.
- Take a screenshot of a scrolling screen.
- Image Editing.
- Animated Gifs.
Jing the most suitable snipping tool alternative for the Mac platform or in my opinion one of the best snipping tool for the Mac OS. It is simple to use but yet provides a lot of premium features by maintaining the natively provided features of a screenshot taker. It has a simple drag and select feature so that you can take the screenshot of your desktop or partly.
- Capture Active Windows.
- Screenshot of the scrolling text.
- Native features of a Screenshot application.
- Effects and tools to edit the screenshots.
- Easy to share the screenshots with your family.
- Hundreds of visual elements to add in the screenshots.
If we are talking about the best alternative of Snipping Tools. Then the list will be of no good if there is no name of Light Shot. Light shot, in my opinion, is the best application in this business. It helps us to take the screenshot of an active window, edit them and even the full screen as well. There are plenty of advanced users, who use this application in their daily work. I, myself use this application on a daily basis and find it quite handy in my work.
- Capture screen using drag and select.
- After taking a screenshot, it finds out that this screenshot is been previously taken or not.
- Simple User interface.
- Available for almost all platforms.
- Use image enhancing tools to edit the screenshots.
(4.) Screen Cloud
Screen Cloud is the most advanced and close to the snipping tools application. As the name suggests this application helps us to record our screen and as well as share it with our friends at the same time. This is the best snipping tools alternative for the Mac OS because it has the native features of the screenshot application and as well as the sharing the files to the cloud. Then the URL of the file on the cloud can be shared with anyone.
- This is a browser extension.
- No need to install separately.
- Upload the images to the cloud.
- Images can be shared with friends with the help of the Cloud website.
- Use native drag and select medium to take a screenshot.
- Can assign a hotkey to take a screenshot.
- Easy to use as there is no complex way to save the screenshots.
(5.) Apowersoft Mac Screenshot
Apowersoft Mac Screenshot application is no other than the applications, listed in this article. The basic feature of this application is to take screenshots of your desktop and just like the other applications in this list, This application surpasses the native screenshot application In the Mac OS. There are some advanced features which make it quite useful over native screenshot in Mac OS.
- Zoom in the screenshot with the help of this application.
- Screenshot of the moving window.
- Share it with friends by uploading the images.
- Image enhancing tools for editing the images.
This is the list of the best alternative of Snipping tools for the Mac platform. Even though Mac has its own screenshot application, but some users want some extra features in that application, they can use third-party applications for this purpose. Some of the applications in this list are paid and some of them are free to use. If you use one of them, do let me know and if you find any of them useful feel free to share your thoughts and suggestions in the comments down below.