How to disable Windows Defender
Windows Defender Antivirus is an anti-malware engine that comes included on Windows 10 to provide real-time protection against viruses, ransomware, spyware, and various other security threats. Windows Defender is available on Windows 7 as well, although it has evolved into a full-fledged antivirus tool on newer versions of the operating system.
One of the great features of this antivirus is that it disables itself automatically if you install any third party antivirus in your system. Although one thing you must keep in your mind that it is not possible to permanently disable or uninstall the entire software.
While using your PC often you will come across situations where you will have to disable the software in order to execute a particular task. So in such cases, you need to disable Windows Defender temporarily in order to overcome the task.
Therefore in this article, we are going to show you a few straightforward ways to disable Windows Defender on Windows 10. From this article, you will also learn how to disable Windows Defender on Windows 7.
How to Disable Windows Defender on Windows 10
There are various methods to disable Windows Defender Antivirus, but in this section of the article, we are going to highlight three most straightforward methods so that you can easily implement them.
From this method, you will learn how to disable the Windows Defender using Local Group Policy. So follow the steps given below.
- In the first step, you have to open the Run tab by pressing Windows key + R on your keyboard.
- Then within the Run tab type gpedit.msc and click on the “OK” button to open the Local Group Policy Editor.
- After typing the command browse the path given below
Computer configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Defender Antivirus\
- After browsing the path, you have to double-click the “Turn off Windows Defender Antivirus” option which is present on the right half of the current Window.
- As you double-click on the “Turn off Windows Defender Antivirus” option, a new Window will open in which you have to select the “Enabled” option to disable Windows Defender.
- Finally, click on the “Apply” button and then on the “OK” button to complete the whole process.
Now restart your computer to apply the changes and after restarting you will notice that the shield icon will remain in the taskbar notification area, but that is because this icon is part of the Windows Defender Security Center and not a part of the antivirus.
It is better to use this method if you are using Windows 10 Home version as in Home version you won’t have access to the Local Group Policy Editor. Here we will show you how to disable Windows Defender using the Registry. Follow the steps given below
- Firstly with the help of the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut you will have to open the Run tab.
- Then type regedit within the Run tab, and click on the “OK” button to open the Registry.
- Browse the following path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\.
- If you don’t find the “DisableAntiSpyware DWORD” option, right-click on the Windows Defender folder, select “New” option, and finally click on the DWORD (32-bit) Value within the “key” option
- Now a new Window will open where you have to rename the key DisableAntiSpyware and press Enter.
- In this step double-click on the newly created DWORD and set the value from 0 to 1 and just click on the “OK” button to disable the Windows Defender.
After executing all the steps, restart your device to apply the settings, and then you will find that the Windows Defender Antivirus is disabled.
This is the easiest method out of the three methods discussed in this article, but through this method, you will be able to disable the Windows Defender Antivirus temporarily. Follow the steps given below in order to implement this method properly.
- In the first step just open the Windows Defender Security Center window.
- Now click on Virus & threat protection and then click on “Virus & threat protection settings” option.
- Finally turn off the “Real Time Protection” toggle switch.
After executing all the steps properly, the Windows 10 antivirus will disable its real-time protection temporarily, which is more than enough time to install applications or performing a task that was getting blocked earlier by the Windows Defender.
However, as this is a temporary solution, the next time when you restart your computer Windows Defender Antivirus will re-enable automatically on your machine.
So we have mentioned three most straightforward ways to disable Windows Defender on Windows 10, and now we will move into the last segment of this article where we will discuss the easiest way to disable Windows Defender on Windows 7.
Steps to Turn Off Windows Defender in Windows 7
This is the easiest method to turn off Windows Defender in Windows 7 so go through the steps given below.
- First and foremost click on the Start button, located in the lower left-hand corner of the desktop window.
- When the Windows menu appears, type “windows defender” within the search bar.
- Now click on “Windows Defender” option, which should now be displayed in the search results under the Control Panel heading.
- After executing the last step, the Windows Defender interface will appear, and now you have to click on Tools, located at the top of the window.
- After executing the last step, the “Tools and Settings” window will open. Click on the Options link present on the “Tools and Settings” window.
- Now select the “Administrator” option which is present in the left menu pane.
- Uncheck the “Use this program” setting, which should instantly disable Windows Defender.
After executing these seven steps properly restart your device to apply the changes, and then you will find that the Windows Defender Antivirus is disabled on Windows7.
In this article, although we have discussed more than one way to disable Windows Defender on Windows 10 and a single method for Windows 7 but we don’t recommend you to run a device without malware protection.
However, sometimes you may come across certain situations when you may need to turn off this security feature on your computer. So if such a situation arises, you can take help from this article to counteract such conditions.