Steam offers multiple library folders, and you can even choose where you want to install games as you download these library folders. After the recent update, now you can easily move a game to another drive after you downloaded it without downloading the entire thing again.
This process can save you from downloading hundreds of gigabytes of game data all over again. It is different from moving an entire Steam library folder, which moves every single game inside it the following process will let you move only a few games rather than the whole library.
Generally, the method which we will show you in this article is not so straightforward, but a recent build of Steam has made it much easier. Therefore go through the steps given below In order to move a steam game on your PC to another drive without re-downloading the entire game again.
Method to move steam games from pc to another drive
The method which will be discussed in this article is comparatively difficult to execute, but the recent build of the steam software has made this method much easier. So before trying to execute the method, you must make sure your Steam is up to date.
In order to check the update status of your Steam firstly, you have to click on Steam and then check for Updates to make sure that you are using the updated version of Steam. After checking the update status of your Steam, move in the next section of this article where we will show you the method in detail.
Create a second Steam Folder
In order to create a second steam library folder on your PC, you have to follow the steps which are given below
1. Open Steam and then click on the “Settings” option. Once you get access to the “Settings” window, select the “Downloads” category and then click on the “Steam Library Folders” button.
2. As you click on the “Steam Library Folders” button, a pop-up window will open where you have to click on the “Add Library Folder” option, and then select the drive you want to create the library folder on, and finally click on the “New Folder” option.
3. After clicking on the “New Folder” option give an appropriate name to your newly created folder and then click on the “OK” button. Finally, click on the “Select” option to choose the folder you just created.
4. Finally, the folder that you will select will appear in the Steam Library folders list so you can now close the “Settings” window.
So as you will execute the previous step successfully, your second Steam Library folder will be created on another drive, and with this, the first step is completed successfully.
Also Read: How to install mods for Skyrim
Move the Games Files to the Second Library
1. In order to move an installed game after creating a second library, you have to right-click on the game in your Steam library and select the “Properties” option.
2. After entering the “Properties” window click on the “Local Files” tab and finally click on the “Move Install Folder” button.
3. As you click on the “Move Install Folder” button, a pop-up window will open so from that pop-up window select the steam library that you want to move the game too and finally click on the “Move Folder” button.
As soon as you execute the previous step, the entire process will be completed, and hence Steam will move the game’s files to the other library location. In order to move other games, just repeat this process again and again.
If you go through this article, you will understand that this is a slightly difficult method, but if you use the updated version of Steam, then you will be able to execute this method effortlessly. So before trying to execute this method, you must update your Steam positively.
We have tried our level best to explain the steps in the most straightforward manner and even provided pictures so that you can refer to the pictures while executing the steps.