It is straightforward to uninstall a program on Windows but uninstalling from a Mac is a little bit difficult. It may seem that in order to delete an app, you just need to drag its icon to the Trash and then empty the Trash.
However, applications which are uninstalled by dragging into the Trash frequently leave behind unwanted files that accumulate on your hard disk, using up valuable storage space and eventually slow down your computer.
In addition to that, you will find that certain pre-installed Mac OS X applications that have no icons such as Safari, Mail, and Photo Booth cannot be deleted by dragging into Trash. So in order to completely delete an application, you need to follow different methods.
There are a number of ways to completely uninstall programs on Mac, so it is often confusing to select the most appropriate method. Therefore in this article, we are going to show you the best three ways to permanently uninstall a program on Mac OS.
Methods to uninstall Programs on Mac
As we have mentioned earlier, there are several ways to uninstall programs on Mac. So you can easily search these methods from the Internet. However, if you go through a few methods, you will understand that most of the methods are difficult to execute. So here we have explained you the most straightforward and apparent methods which you can easily execute by merely following this article thoroughly.
In the first method, we will use App cleaner which is a popular software to uninstall a program on Mac while in the second method we will uninstall a program on Mac manually, and in the third method, you will learn how to uninstall a program on Mac using Movavi Mac Cleaner.
Method One: Uninstall Programs on Mac using App Cleaner
In the first method, we are going to use App Cleaner which is a free application designed especially to uninstall programs properly. You can easily download this application from the App Store.
This is the most straightforward method, and hence you will be able to uninstall programs with few clicks only. Through App Cleaner you will be able to remove more than 1000 Mac apps.
You can even use App cleaner to reset apps, clean up broken service files and even manage user and system extensions. So in order to utilize App cleaner for uninstalling programs on Mac follow the steps given below.
1. First and foremost install App Cleaner from the app store or from the link given below.
2. After downloading and installing the software, you have to launch App Cleaner.
3. As the software loads successfully, you have to select the applications that you want to delete by selecting the checkboxes which are placed right beside the applications.
4. After selecting all the applications according to your choice just click on the “Remove” button and finally confirm your decision by clicking on the “Remove” button again.
So by executing these 4 steps properly, you will be able to uninstall programs on Mac with the help of App Cleaner software.
Editor’s Choice: How to screen record on MAC
Method Two: Steps to manually uninstall programs on Mac
In order to execute this method, you have to first know about the Mac OS catalog system. This method is not as simple as the previous method but still, if you follow this article properly you will be able to execute the steps properly. The most positive aspect of this method is that in this method you will not require any external software.
But while executing this method you should be careful not to remove extra files by accident, which may damage the Mac OS. Follow the steps given below
- Firstly you have to open the Finder and then go to the Application folder and then move the unwanted applications to Trash.
- After moving the unwanted files to Trash, you have to remove the service files of the deleted app. In order to remove the service files go to the Library folder where the files are stored.
- As soon as you get access to the library folder, you have to remove the apps which are remaining. See the list of most common system file storages which are given below
- Macintosh HD > Users > [current user=””][/current] > ~Library > Application Support
- Macintosh HD > Users > [current user=””][/current] > ~Library > Caches
- Macintosh HD > Users > [current user=””][/current] > ~Library > Logs
- Macintosh HD > Users > [current user=””][/current] > ~Library > Preferences
- Macintosh HD > Users > [current user=””][/current] > ~Library > Containers
- Macintosh HD > Users > [current user=””][/current] > ~Library > Cookies 4. Finally, clear the trash after uninstalling the unwanted files.
So you have to execute these four steps properly in order to uninstall programs on Mac manually. If you are not satisfied with this method as it is a bit complicated process you can move into the next segment of the article where we will show you the third method.
Method Three: Steps to uninstall programs on Mac with the help of Movavi Mac Cleaner
Movavi Mac Cleaner is a useful tool for Mac OS systems that will help you to clean your MacBook Air or Pro, iMac, Mac mini or any other Apple computer. So in this method, we will use Movavi Mac Cleaner to uninstall programs on Mac.
This is the most straightforward method. This method will help you to save a lot of time and will safely clean up all unwanted apps and files associated with them on your Apple computer be it iMac, MacBook Pro, or Mac Air.
So go through the steps given below if you want to either know about Movavi Mac Cleaner or implement this method to uninstall programs on Mac.
2. After downloading and installing this software, you have to start the Movavi Mac Cleaner software. Once this application launches successfully it will do a quick check of your hard drive and eventually it will show you the total number of junk files on your computer.
3. In this step, you have to uninstall the unwanted applications completely. So in order to completely uninstall the applications, you have to first go to the “Uninstaller” menu and then wait for Mac Cleaner to identify all the applications on your Mac.
Once Movavi Mac Cleaner identifies all the application, you will see three submenus above the list of apps which are “User Apps,” “OS X Apps”, and “Leftovers.” So after identifying the applications, the Movavi software segregates the applications under three categories
If you want to uninstall pre-installed applications like Safari, FaceTime, and Mail, etc. click on the “OS X Apps” option, then locate the programs, check the boxes next to the icons in the list for the programs you want to uninstall, and click on the “Remove” option.
And in order to remove stuff left behind by certain apps, click “Leftovers” option and then locate the programs, check the boxes next to the icons in the list for the programs you want to uninstall, and click “Remove.”
So follow these three simple steps in order to uninstall programs on Mac using Movavi Mac Cleaner.
As promised at the beginning of the article we have shown three most straightforward methods to uninstall programs on Mac. Although the second method is a bit difficult to execute but still if you go through this article thoroughly you will be able to easily execute all the methods.
Moreover, if you go through this article thoroughly, you will also gather valuable information about App Cleaner and Movavi Mac Cleaner software.